On our 2015-04-16 Developers Forum, we discussed support for alternative databases and, specifically, moving from simply saying that we want to support them to actually supporting them. During that discussion, we decided that MariaDB was the best initial target, since it should be fairly easy given its cross-compatibility with MySQL.
Acceptance criteria for this Epic (we should probably make stories for each of these):
- OpenMRS Platform successfully runs atop MariaDB
- CI breaks builds when they fail to run atop MariaDB
- Distributed modules successfully run against MariaDB
- CI breaks builds when supported modules fail to run atop MariaDB
- OpenMRS Reference Application successfully runs atop MariaDB
- OpenMRS Standalone successfully runs atop MariaDB
When those are completed, we should not only be able to confidently run OpenMRS atop MariaDB, but we should be immediately notified and able to address when/if any future changes prevent us from running atop MariaDB.